I could really use some professional advice. I need to make an educational/career decision.?
I am a retired 47y/o paramedic embarking on a career in technology. Completed one semester in Computer/Software Support Specialist with a 3.68 GPA. Every advisor advises me to enter their particular program ie: webmaster, networking, programming, computer repair. I may only have a shot at 2 years of college due to financial limitations, and all classes must be taken in Indiana for the same reason, so I want to make it count.
I want to easily find employment, know enough to operate my own business if necessary but could not involve high capital investment, I like hands-on things but also am intriegued by design, e-commerce. My math skills are average but I am above average in comprehension/reading. I took a course in networking & communications, received an "A" but found the subject matter difficult to comprehend and resorted to rote memorization. Web Design was very interesting as well as PC Configuration and received "A's" in both. Open to jobs out of USA. What would you suggest?
There are two sides to the coin here.
1) hardware
2) software
If you prefer to be a hands on hardware and pcrepair are best, but you found this subject matter to be difficult - soo...
Web design is plentiful, however diferent languages may be required - common ones are ColdFusion, Java, and C#
Based on your interests I'd say web design.
I got my degree in computer science from the university of illinois - Online (http://www.uis.edu)
It was completely online and becasue it was online - it was cheaper than attending the local university - not to mention time flexibile (there are no you must be in calss tue/thurs from 10-1pm when the rest of the world is at work)
You can go all the way through a masters online with the univiersity as well.
I don't know your finances - but it might be better than what you are getting locally.
If you have questions and want to bounce ideas back and forth to me via email that's fine.
I used to do tech support for microsoft - and realised that hardware and networking support issues were not for me and went into programming. I've been professionally programming for over 5 years now.
I wish you the best of luck
Computer Networking
[simpleaffiliate source="amazon" results="5"]networking technologies used in e-commerce[/simpleaffiliate]
[simpleaffiliate source="clickbank" results="3"]networking technologies used in e-commerce[/simpleaffiliate]
No comments:
Post a Comment